Thursday, September 11, 2008

where my girls at?

So I have had the opportunity to lead the women's college/career community group for a couple of years now and tonight was the first night of this next "cycle" as I like to call it (like how top model has cycles...hahaha). I am very social and I love to be around people and to have people over to hang out, so this opportunity is just the kind of thing I love to do. anyways, I find myself overwhelmed with joy and filled with love as I sit and reflect on tonight' time. The group is a good mix-on many levels. 
There are girls who are fresh out of high school and beginning their journey on the road of college, girls that are ending their journey on the road of college, girls who are going back to the college after taking some time off, girls who are married or will be married soon, and girls who have begun or will be beginning their careers. Their are some of us who have been in the same community group for several "cycles" (hahaha) and have seen many come and go, and then there are the new girls. I love the mix that we have. The dynamics of the group just seem that they will be great. 
I struggle with being a leader. I know that I have the ability to do it. But I fear not doing a good job or letting people down-that I might fail at it. Fear is a huge hinderance in my life and I am really trying to work on this. But this fear makes me worried about my responsibility as the leader of the group. My heart is in this. I want to really live life alongside these girls as well as be the leader that they may be looking for. My prayer is that I won't let my fear keep me from giving my all in being the leader. 
Some of my closest friendships have developed from being in a community group. Others have been made stronger. I look forward to building those type of relationships with the ladies in the new group. On several occasions I have found peace and comfort in my community group. Knowing that there is a core group of people who are living life alongside you-loving you, encouraging you, challenging you. They keep you accountable. They pray for you. It is such a blessing.
We have chosen to read a book together for this "cycle". We chose Captivating by John and Stasi Eldridge. (which i must say is one of my favorite books). I read it for the first time when I was in Costa Rica. And began reading it a second time a few months ago. I am excited to read this book with my small group. I cant wait to see what the Lord has in store for us!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are quite the faithful blogger. I am impressed! look forward to seeing you for ronnie's bday, hopefully you and the man will be there.

BGJ

Anonymous said...

You didn't let us down! I totally loved our small group! Thanks for leading it! Love you girly!